Launch Protocol / Information (PLEASE READ)
We have worked with the University of Rhode Island on revised Launch Field Protocol. There are several entities within and outside URI that have operations on the Peckham Fields. This revised protocol preserves each stakeholders interest.
Only Authorized vehicles will be allowed on the field to unload equipment and then removed to parking area or designated optional area agreed by all parties
Authorized Vehicles are RIMRA Board Members
Signage will be posted to show parking and field restriction.
Designated Parking will be in the Farm Building Parking lot and the east side of the access road.
Rocketeers will access the launch area by walking in on the Farm Road and utilizing a dock cart.
Between 8:45 and 9:00 we will have an authorized car that can ferry your equipment in. After that will we have a dock cart that you can use.
The launch and related equipment will be set up on the field road.
It is understood that the access to and form the field on the may be required by workers on the field and we will accommodate.
Members and spectator will be restricted to the farm road.
In the case of rockets landing in a restricted area only a designated RIMRA Board member will conduct retrieval.
Any damage will be reported to RIMRA Board member.
(See attached launch site map)
Launch Dates / information:
2nd Saturday of each month (Sunday as a rain date)
Launch Dates 2017 / 2018:
November 11, 2017 – Saturday
December 9, 2017– Saturday
January 13, 2018– Saturday
February 10, 2018– Saturday
March 10, 2018– Saturday
April 14, 2018– Saturday
May 12, 2018– Saturday
June 9, 2018– Saturday
July 14, 2018– Saturday
August 11, 2018– Saturday
September 8, 2018– Saturday
October 13, 2018– Saturday
November 10, 2018– Saturday
December 8, 2018 – Saturday
Weather Launch Protocol: Go-no Criteria
1st Call made Thursday at 6 PM EST
2nd and Final Call Friday at 6 Pm EST
Criteria based on forecast between 9 am and 2 pm EST on launch day
No go if one of the following criteria is predicted any time times between 9 am and 2 pm EST on launch day
Temperature below 32° or below 20° with wind chill
Chance of rain is greater than 50%
Wind greater than 15 MPH or gust greater than 25 MPH
Criteria source: Weather.com for West Kingston Rhode Island 02892
2. FAA Restrictions – We are still learning here, but do have a waiver that is higher than anyone would probably want to risk flying to.
3. Impulse Limits for this Launch
- Finned Rockets – I Impulse (<640N-S)
- Motor Ejection – Max Altitude <2,000’
- Dual Deploy – Max Altitude <2,000’
- Odd Rockets – Max Altitude <1000’ J Impulse (<1280N-S)
- NO SPARKIES! This may change in the future, but for now these motors will not be allowed and anyone who flies one will lose their flying privileges.
- All HPR rockets must have hardcopy simulation data prior to flight. Please show this to the RSO at inspection.
- We need to call in anything over 3.3 lbs going over 1,500’ to the tower at TFGreen and they have the right to tell us it cannot fly. Until we gain some experience with this, please be aware that higher flights may well be refused.
4. Sign in – Registration sheet and forms will be available for participants to sign in.
5. Safety Notes
- Range Hot – stay behind the flight line
- Flight Line – marked with flags
- Heads Up Alarm – Look up!
- Misfires – Wait one minute or after range is cold, whichever is longer, go fix it or take it off the pad
- No Catching Rockets!
6. The Range Safety Officer (RSO)
- Location – at the gap in the center of the flight line
- Launch Cards – USE RIMRA LAUNCH cards at this time
- Questionable Rockets (First Flight or Marginal Stability) – We may tell you to fly it from the further pads or refuse to fly it. RSO has the final call.
7. The Launch Control Officer (LCO)
- Location – between the RSO and the LPR pads
- Pad Assignment – Will be ad hoc, please be courteous
- Key Removal – Key will be out when the range is cold
- Launch Cards – place on the board, corresponding to the pad your rocket is on
8. Recovery Areas
- TO BE UPDATED
9. Trash – You brought it, you take it
10. Sanitary facilities – There is a TLC Coffee Roasters at the corner of Rt 110 and 138 (need to drive by there and check this place out before we publish) and a Dunkin Donuts at 120 Fortin Rd. Kingston, RI 02881 (on the URI Campus open to public). Right near DD there are a few other places as well including a Cumberland Farms.
11. New Member Info Sign up at desk or see John, Jeff or Ray
12. How much?
- Calendar Year Dues: $20 for first adult, $5 for each additional family member – $10 per family per day after that.
- $15 one time guest pass
- Kids fly free