Launch Protocol / Information (PLEASE READ)
1. Parking – You can enter through the Peckham Farm Road across from the Ryan center. Follow the dirt road, we will place american flags on to guide you, to the launch site. If the it does rain just prior we will post a sign and , parking will be in the area of the barn and the pond.
2. FAA Restrictions – We are still learning here, but do have a waiver that is higher than anyone would probably want to risk flying to.
3. Impulse Limits for this Launch
- Finned Rockets – I Impulse (<640N-S)
- Motor Ejection – Max Altitude <2,000’
- Dual Deploy – Max Altitude <2,000’
- Odd Rockets – Max Altitude <1000’ J Impulse (<1280N-S)
- NO SPARKIES! This may change in the future, but for now these motors will not be allowed and anyone who flies one will lose their flying privileges.
- All HPR rockets must have hardcopy simulation data prior to flight. Please show this to the RSO at inspection.
- We need to call in anything over 3.3 lbs going over 1,500’ to the tower at TFGreen and they have the right to tell us it cannot fly. Until we gain some experience with this, please be aware that higher flights may well be refused.
4. Sign in – Registration sheet and forms will be available for participants to sign in.
5. Safety Notes
- Range Hot – stay behind the flight line
- Flight Line – marked with flags
- Heads Up Alarm – Look up!
- Misfires – Wait one minute or after range is cold, whichever is longer, go fix it or take it off the pad
- No Catching Rockets!
6. The Range Safety Officer (RSO)
- Location – at the gap in the center of the flight line
- Launch Cards – Using CATO cards at this time
- Questionable Rockets (First Flight or Marginal Stability) – We may tell you to fly it from the further pads or refuse to fly it. RSO has the final call.
7. The Launch Control Officer (LCO)
- Location – between the RSO and the LPR pads
- Pad Assignment – Will be ad hoc, please be courteous
- Key Removal – Key will be out when the range is cold
- Launch Cards – place on the board, corresponding to the pad your rocket is on
8. Recovery Areas
- Most whatever you can see
- Ask at the farm
- Ask at anybody’s yard – there are houses among the trees at the south end of the field
- We do not know what is under the trees yet, but the safe bet is wet ground with briers
9. Trash – You brought it, you take it
10. Sanitary facilities – Working on this.. Upstairs in the farm building, please be courteous to the students working there. Until that is sorted, there is a TLC Coffee Roasters at the corner of Rt 110 and 138 (need to drive by there and check this place out before we publish) and a Dunkin Donuts at 120 Fortin Rd. Kingston, RI 02881 (on the URI Campus open to public). Right near DD there are a few other places as well including a Cumberland Farms.
11. New Member Info Sign up at desk or see John, Jeff or Ray
12. How much?
- Calendar Year Dues: $20 for first adult, $5 for each additional family member – $10 per family per day after that.
- $15 one time guest pass
- Kids fly free